How to make a Candy Cane Basket | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : How to make a Candy Cane Basket

Thursday, December 19, 2013

How to make a Candy Cane Basket

This is a sweet table decoration for Christmas.




Materials and tools:

1 container (I used a 4"x4" square gift box)
4 boxes of 12 candy canes (it takes approximately 3 candy canes per inch, measure your container to be certain you have enough) 
Red ribbon
Wire beading
Silk greenery with berries
Florist foam 3.5"x3.5"x2"
Hot glue and gun (about 6 glue sticks)
Wire cutters
Scissors 

Instructions:
1. Glue your foam into the inside of the bottom of the box. 
2. Unwrap all of your candy canes. 
3. Start your glue gun, this will go quickly.
4. Starting on one side of the box in the center, run glue along the back side of the cane and hold in place until set. Continue all around the box.
5. Tie your ribbon around the basket and trim off excess ribbon. Pinch off the centers with wire beading by wrapping around the ribbon tightly. Trim excess from the beading.
6. Cut down your greenery (or flowers of choice) making your arrangement. Then glue them into the foam. 


It takes about 3 candy canes per inch. I used 4 and half  dozen boxes due to breakage (package removal) 

A 4"x4"x4" square box 

Foam, ribbon, wire beading, hot glue



My first attempt with fabric glue did not work. The canes still wobbled with a rubber band holding them and drying was way too long.  Super glue melted the candy.  I lost a few canes learning what worked better.


The best, and I do mean the very best, way to do this is with hot glue.  Just a little patience with holding each cane while the hot glue sets quickly moves this along nicely.



I used 2" ribbon tying it off tight on one side. Then "pinched it" in each center with the wire beading, trimming off to make them look like embellishments.




Trimming down silk greenery and berry bunches design your arrangement; then glue and insert them into the foam.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Say Gday Feature

23 comments:

  1. I think I'd eat one to many candy canes and end up one short. I wonder how I could fill in that spot? A toothbrush maybe? hahaha, just kidding. I'm so glad you went through all the melting candy cane problems for us and we all get to jump strait to working solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Hey I did eat the broken ones :D
    I had an extra box of the candy for breakage and mistakes, but they ended up on the Christmas tree,


    then in tummies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! I love this candy cane box. The embellishment you added really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Pretty! I tried using candy canes on a circular vase last year. Major fail! I love your step by step instructions. Maybe I'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. Unfortunately, I'd probably catch my son eating the parts of the candy canes without glue. lol Thanks for linking up at the #HomeMatters link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It's quite easy and can be done with any shape or type of container. I'm going to try an oval glass bowl next time. My mom got this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what glue did you use? I was thinking of doing this on a glass bowl and fill with poinsettias. I do know that I won't use any liquid form of glue. The hot glue was a dream to use.
    Thank you for stopping to view, Beverly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I imagine you may have to wait until he is older. I thought of using those yummy little cinnamon buttons as a trim, but I would eat them myself. Thanks so much for being a great hostess, Bonnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, because it doesn't seem terribly hard or expensive! Thanks for sharing your creative project at Together on Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin, this is so pretty, and your tutorial is great! Candy Canes are one of my favorite things about the Christmas Season. Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay -- Robin did a Christmas decor post! I've been waiting for this one, and I just love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty and festive - great idea to use candy canes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! Wonderful and gorgeous festive centerpieces for a holiday party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right, Lisa! So easy and dollar store supplies. Thank you for being a wonderful hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, we must have candy canes :)
    Thank you so much for the pin and for being such a gracious hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I know, right? :)
    I do crafts sometimes, but with bigger projects about, I don't have much time. I try harder when things slow down, Dee, haha
    Thank you for peeking in at me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you like and visited! Thank you so much, Corrina :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I checked out your projects and loved your version of using candy canes! I think it turned out very nicely! Thank you so much for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is fun!! My kiddos would have never let me finish, they would have eaten them all :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by from the Chain Linky Climb. Your basket turned out adorable. This is a great idea for holiday center pieces. Elegant and inexpensive. My kind of DIY. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is funny! That's the trouble with crafting with candy LOL
    Thank you for the visit, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so right! Inexpensive, easy and can't go wrong results. Thank you for your kind visit! :)

    ReplyDelete